Thursday, November 29, 2012

We have a plan!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, 
We have a plan!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no idea if this plan is going to work, but for now, IVF is NOT the plan. Woooohoooo!!!! To say I'm excited is an understatement! Actually, it's been a very long, emotional day! Even without mention of IVF, the appointment this morning was very taxing. 
 
We arrived to the fertility center on time (woohoo!). After handing over the 3 inch stack of paperwork, having our pictures taken (why?!), ID's scanned and insurance checked...we waited. 
 
I don't know why I expected this office would be any different?! About 30 minutes after our appointment was supposed to have started, we were called back to get my 'vitals'. You all know this means stepping on the dreaded scale!! Boo... My vitals were checked and we proceeded back to a very nice, but FREEZING office. 
 
I was pretty happy with Dr. M. I was thrilled that he didn't just jump in and suggest IVF immediately. In fact, he took a look at all of our test results, talked to us about our history and suggested that we haven't even had enough 'chances' to call us infertile yet!! That basically means that I ovulate so infrequently that we've only had a few REAL chances to get pregnant.  
 
So, here's the deal. There could be some physical reasons why hubby's SA numbers are not so great, plus there could be some hormonal issues going on. Hubby had blood drawn and we'll get the results next Monday or Tuesday. Dr. M's office is going to send those results to a urologist. Hubby will go see that doctor with Dr. M's recommendations for what types of things to focus on. They will also rule out any physical issues: eg - vericocile, masses or 'hot' blood vessels (that could be keeping things too warm down there). It's not very likely that the physical things are the problem. That leaves us with the hormones. So...we'll see. 
 
While this is all happening, I am going to be doing a 'medicated' cycle. I'll go in on CD 3 and have blood work and a baseline ultrasound done. Then I'll take Letrozole (many of you know it as Femara) on CDs 3-7. I'll be charting my BBT (basal body temp) all throughout the cycle to confirm ovulation. Dr. M isn't even going to make me come back in for a mid-cycle ultrasound!!! Woot! On day 21 I'll need to come in for a progesterone check. That'll do two things - 1, check to see if I've O'd and 2, make sure that my progesterone is at a satisfactory level.   
 
We'll do 3 medicated cycles with timed baby dancing! :-D If we're not pregnant at that point we'll have to start talking about more invasive things. I'm not even thinking about that yet! I'm just thrilled to have a few more chances to do this as 'naturally' as possible before we jump to the big guns!!! 
 
All you prayer warriors out there, start praying!!! 
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad your RE is starting off easy! I do think you should make sure your progesterone test is 7 DPO instead of CD 21, since that's the peak of progesterone and you will confirm O through charting. So excited for your plan though, it looks great and here's hoping the first round takes and screw the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was anxious to hear how your appointment went yesterday. It's wonderful news that you don't have to jump right into IVF (or even IUI at this point)! You must have a peace of mind know that you have a plan!! And it sounds like you have a good doctor to work with who is explaining the process and procedures to give you direction. YAY :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the exclamation points I see in your post! :) Means good news and you are happy with results! Definitely praying for you and hoping for the best. Sounds like you have a great doctor willing to go at y'alls speed. We are waiting till the 11th to hear our news after having some tests done. Fingers crossed we get a NO on IVF too. Those are the worst words to hear and I am SO glad y'all didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I'm just excited to have a few REAL opportunities to try on our own. I was really feeling anxious about the whole thing because I knew that though we've been 'trying' for 3 years...I ovulated so few times that we never really knew if we could do it on our own or not. I'm trying to remain hopeful while being realistic. The odds still aren't great for it to happen naturally, so I'm just praying...a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great news! I hope everything keeps moving forward for you guys. It always feels awesome to be proactive and DO something, and I can definitely tell that you're feeling that! Keep the positive energy coming :)

    ReplyDelete